Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy birthday, my old, old, old friend

Today my city turned 150.

To honor the city of my youngest brother's birth, I thought about a few of my favorite things that call Denver home:
1. Casa Bonita (technically in Lakewood)
2. Fleece
3. Don Cheadle
4. Dinger
5. Best football player ever

What do you love about Denver?

15 comments:

Erin said...

Well happy birthday Denver. I had no idea Don Cheadle had any association with Denver--interesting.

I love the large numbers of over-sized statues sprinkled throughout downtown.

Jim and Shalene said...

I second Elway, or as I often call him, "the god of football." It's like how names in the Bible like Eli and Elijah start with El which is a reference to God. This is no different.
I love Denver for Elitch's (God's playground), that robot guy downtown, and when I was a kid Denver was the first place I'd ever been around more than one black person at the same time. I am from Craig, after all.

Jill said...

Does having lived in Lakewood for six months qualify me to comment? Good. I love that after a certain hour at night (can't remember when), lots of stoplights turn to flashing yellow so you don't have to sit at a red one for three minutes with no other living soul at the intersection. Probably there are way more meaningful and culturally significant things about your great city, but I am a simple woman, and to the best of my knowledge we have nothing like that in the greater Chicagoland area. (P.S. Teri, every time I think of the word "stair" since your comment, I pee my pants a little. Loving it.)

Wade said...

Colfax is a channel whose cultural and narcotic flows are more abundant and remarkable than the Platte itself. The corridor will rise again!

Xeriscaping, a Denver native, demonstrates the cities’ ecologically responsible past while the city proved its cool side when it became the only city to win its Olympic bid and subsequently turn it down.

Let’s also tip a hat to the old Denver Bears, not only did they pave the way for Rockies and the best yard in the big leagues, but the squad also laid the foundation for the Broncos and the common man’s AFL.

Here’s to you Milehighton, you may not make it to the London-Tokyo-New York-Paris-Mexico City bumper sticker, but the kind of town that you are is of a higher realm. Glad to know you.

Jill said...

Oh! I also love the bumper stickers that say, "If God isn't a Broncos fan, why are sunsets blue and orange?" Although, I suppose Bears fans could ask the same question. But they're really not that clever...

severts6 said...

I love the people!! Especially that one homeless man who laughed at me as I fell off my Razor into on-coming traffic, on about 17th and Market Street. I hope that jerk freezes tonight (or buys me a new pair of dress slacks).

Susanna said...

Tommy's Thai, the House of Marakesh and the best year of our lives thanks to the Granges and the Fins.

Shelley said...

Oh man, I have to reply to this. Denver is my home and I might have to leave soon. I love that Jersey Mike's knows our order before we even walk in. So does La Pasidita. Michael and I have spent our seven married years here and we've fallen in love with Denver. Our first born son shares his birthday with the great city. That is cool too.

Jonathan said...

Sarah's family disparagingly refers to Casa Bonita as "Caca Don't Eat It." I don't know if that's an actual commentary on the food or just a clever near rhyme.

Wade said...

Don't forget about the Black Leprechaun, I finally had the myth confirmed in my last weeks there. He even invited me over for chess but when I showed up, he was in the clink. Turns out the ethnically confused fairy gets into trouble when he's on the bottle.

Jen said...

Sorry this is late Ryan... I also have a great love Denver... home of the greatest professional mascot Rocky, the best parks, just next door to the lake and you always know which way is west,

gk risser said...

The hobos under the bridge, floating down Confluence Kayak Park sans watercraft avec hispanic youth, the hobos in the library, 16th street trolleys, Tattered Cover, the hobo poet in the alley behind Tattered Cover, Summer concert series, Jazz at City Park with friends and cheese, hobos on the benches at the city park pond, riding bikes to Rockies games, the Denver Ward, the hobos outside the Denver chapel, the Jim Donaldson jazz band, The Bloomsbury Review, lunchtime on the boulder outside of REI, Patagonia, the hobos on the path between The Bloomsbury Review the boulder at REI and Patagonia, The Theater Center, the members of the Director's Circle, The Lighthouse Writer's Workshop, Grange, Mrs Grange, Lil' Grange, Snowy weekends and sunny weekdays. Truly, truly, a magical city. Love it. Miss it much. Did I mention all the wonderful hobos? And Dulcinea's Hundredth Monkey, whatever it may be.

gk risser said...

I forgot the Paradise Rock Gym. Drunk people who get inside your car thinking it's a free taxi. And many many other hobos.

gk risser said...

Oh! And Five points. And that strange latin neighborhood isolated and divided evenly by the freeway overhead. The savory scent of the dogfood factory. Just too many hobos to mention by name.

Matt & Candice said...

What about slim cessna's auto club? A must see for any self-respecting Denverite. Wonderful weather, physically active culture (aren't we the fittest/toughest city in the country?) Close to nature, sports, good food. I think most of the gente here are pretty down-to-earth and friendly without being frumpy. Overall, it's a pretty rad place to live.