Another one of those things for me is backpacking. We started planning a Grange men backpacking trip late last year, and finally made it down to the Sangre de Cristo mountains last week (sans Mountain Dan). It was rainy most of the time, but that didn't deter us from a few harrowing day hikes.

I learned that after ten years, my boots no longer repel water. And if anyone tells me I shouldn't be wearing jeans when camping, but instead should get some breathable, lightweight, moisture-wicking, zip-off pants, I will stick my Swiss Army knife toothpick in your neck.

We reached some stunning alpine lakes that see more marmots and mountain goats than humans.

After dining on the massive beast Spencer wrested from its watery dwelling, we all had a Cup-o-Noodles.

Rules tend to get broken on these campouts. Sticks are poked into the fire and waved around, whittlers cut towards themselves, iodine-treated water with no flavoring is consumed. Another is to identify the steepest, rockiest, trail-less hike, then start walking up it with little concern for the burning lungs and rubbed-raw ankles it will create. We found a few of those.

An excellent time, gents. Let's do it again.
3 comments:
Grange, do me a favor. Next time, don't wear cotton. Alright?
Oh, and try practicing a little catch-n-release, huh?
And stay on the trails. They are exspensive.
And I'm ready for your little toothpick.
I love mountain Grange men stories as much as I love my Grange men. I equally love that I am not expected, needed or wanted on your little bonding adventures. Mom
Hey, Guys. Send me your email addresses so I can add you to the blog. Ryan, you have my email, correct? Or you can send them to Jon...I know you have his. I just don't want to leave it in the comments, see. :)
Post a Comment