Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Egad, Bad Dad

So there's a part of a baby's development that nobody ever talks about. When your kid first starts walking, she doesn't have a lot of confidence. This makes her cautious. She always ensures there's something close by to grab onto if she loses her balance, and she makes sure to prepare for potential falls. "Hey, look, my child's a prodigy!" It all seems just a little too easy.

About two weeks after she starts, she thinks she's the best walker in the world. This boldness of course is deceptive, as she has still not developed the physical ability or judgment to walk without consciously thinking about every step.

Because of her brash overconfidence and resulting recklessness, Isabel as achieved the following in the final couple weeks of her first year:
  • Fallen three feet off a bed onto her head
  • Had her finger slammed in a car door (not exactly walking-related, but still her fault)
  • Fallen face-first onto her bottle, giving her a big fat lip
  • Slammed her head into a chair leg, splitting open her face - picture below

Would it be weird to start a pool on when she breaks her first bone?

3 comments:

Dan and Anne said...

Poor Isabel... but she has to take responsibility for her actions some day.I'm glad you guys aren't the type of parents that "coddle" their children... keeping them from experiencing the real world. It's just so unrealistic!

Jill said...

She looks so mad in that picture. She totally resents you guys, huh? That's okay, I think mine already does, too. (In an unrelated note, I like to play a little game when reading Ryan's posts where I try to guess what picture will come up on the highlighted words. Today I was 0 for 2, as I guessed "the Prodigy"- as in "I'm the firestarter"- and Chuck Norris- Walker, Texas Ranger. Better luck to me next time...)

Erin said...

i'm going to turn you guys in. Stop hurting that cute little girl. Ryan told me today in the car that when we go to Denver to visit after baby girl is born, that she can be best friends with Isabel. It will be so fun to see them playing together someday!