Friday, July 23, 2010

Adelaide

Sit back and relax, this could be a long one. Due to the invention of Facebook, some of you may already have read some of the play-by-play but here it is all is one place. I would like to say that we are all doing really well. We love this new little girl and can't get enough of her (even at 3:30 a.m.).

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010
*3:15 a.m. - I decided to get out of bed due to some intense contractions. I hadn't really even thought about a hospital bag nor dug out the car seat so I decided to do that. The iPhone has a cool contraction timer application so I decided to start timing them just to see where I was.

*4:45 a.m. - I woke up Ryan and told him to shower and that we were probably going to the hospital. He showered and asked me what he should pack. (He is wearing his "Gaggle of Granges" shirt during delivery, appropriate I think.)

*5:15 a.m. - I called the doctor. She told me to head to the hospital whenever if I thought I was in labor. So, we take our time.

*7:00 a.m. - After a quick stop at the train tracks and Lamar's Donuts we arrived at the hospital. By this time I am having many frequent, painful contractions. I stopped many times to breathe on the way to check-in. At the desk the lady immediately called up the Labor & Delivery and said a nurse needed to come down fast to get me. I refused the wheelchair and said that I would prefer walking.

*7:20 a.m. - Nurse checks to see how far dilated I am. 6 cm. 6 CM! Woo Hoo. Ryan calls both of our mom's and tells them that they better hurry. Why waste time with the hospital gown? I am just not in the mood to put that thing on (too many ties and buttons and such).

*7:30 a.m. - My water breaks. And I am at 8 cm. (Better hurry up, moms!)

*7:55 a.m. - My mom gets to the hospital, hears lots of screaming coming from the room and knows exactly where I am. I am dilated to a 9 cm. Where is Dixie?

*8:05 a.m. - Baby is sunny-side up so we I start having to try all sorts of tricks to try and get the baby into a different position and I am not quite 10 cm yet. I will now mention that a whole lot of pain happened for the next half hour or so. Not a lot of pushing but a lot of contracting and a lot of second thoughts. Did I forget to mention I was doing this whole thing drug free? Well, to be honest, during this half hour, I really started thinking twice about the epidural. BUT, Ryan kept telling me I could do it, my doctor kept encouraging me, my nurse was amazing and kept telling me that I could do it, my mom was helping. So basically, I was saying I couldn't do it and they were convincing me that I could.

*8:30 a.m. - The doctor tells me to push to see if that will help the baby get into position.

*8:32 a.m. - We calculate that this is when Ryan's mom enters the room. Again, she hears a scream of what she thought was a baby being born but then realized that it was me and quickly entered the room. Suddenly there were many nurses in the room all telling me to push.

*8:35 a.m. - Adelaide arrives. I WE did it!

Babies are so awesome. This was such an amazing experience, we are so grateful for our little Adelaide Dahlia. She was 7 lbs. 9 oz. and measured 20 3/4 inches long. She has a good amount of dark hair and all the nurses talked about how long her eyelashes are. She loves to eat and sleep and pass some seriously stinky gas (I don't think that two days of super spicy Mexican food that I ate in order to get her out has been all that good for her bowels - oops).

Isabel loves being a big sister. She will sit and hold her and poke at her for a good 20 minutes and then when we take her away she gets kind of mad at us. Isabel's face absolutely lights up when she sees her. She is constantly kissing her and hugging her and dying to paint her fingernails.

And steal her pacifier. And pick her nose. And gouge her eyes out.


Many people think Adelaide looks a whole lot like Isabel, I haven't quite been able to figure it out but something is a bit different. It is amazing how they really do change every day.
 

And the first of many family portraits. We are so excited to have our two sweet little girls.

15 comments:

Sarah Stamps said...

Congratulations!!! Everyone looks beautiful!
xoxo

Jill said...

I loved that, and wish it could have been even longer... First, YAY!!!!!!!!!!! for you for 1)having that baby, and 2)doing it with no drugs... I know it shouldn't matter to me how anyone delivers her baby, but I always get extra excited when an epidural is shunned. (I'm just a busybody, I think.) Second, she is so gloriously cute. Love those cheeks in the picture with Ryan, love the name, love your two little BFF girlies together! Third, you are very nearly making me want another one. Kind of. Fourth, I hope the "food processer" situation is not too bad. Fifth, I think this comment is longer than your original post, so I'll stop now. Love to you all, Granges!

Sarah Jayne said...

Teri, you are amazing! What an awesome story and so inspiring. Hurts like the dickens doesn't it? But I wouldn't do it any other way. Congrats on another beauty. Glad tohear Isabelis adjusting well. That's half the battle with 2.

Erin said...

Hurray for Adelaide! I can't wait to see both those girls in just a week and a half. And you are a superwoman again, for going natural. After hearing your story, it is not necessarily making me want to even attempt that, but it sure makes me think you are brave and strong!!!!

Megan said...

Congratulations Teri! I delivered Lily without meds and appreciated your comment, "I was saying I couldn't do it and everyone else convinced me I could." Sums it up perfectly! :)

Glad to hear everything is going well. Enjoy your new family!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

Dan and Anne said...

Congratulations Ryan, Teri and Isabel! Welcome to the world miss Adelaide! Elle is super excited to see her new cousin and has already told me they are going to be BFF's. Awesome job on going natural... AMAZING! Can't wait to see more of this little girl but we will just have to until next weekend.

Wade said...

Well done Grangers, adorable- all four! Terijo, this will do wonders to boost your hippie credentials, just remember; no burnin' doobie with two kiddos in the house. You darlings make me happy, proud to know you, congrats-

Season and Isabella said...

That was my original thought too - a little Isabel! Love the story! Nice job and super cute pics. Can't wait to meet her for real! Congrats from all of us!

Kathy said...

Wow you did just barely make it to the hospital. I had my second one that way. No drugs and a quick labor. It was all over so quick it was great. So glad all is well and she and all of you are adorable. Love the little family picture. How fun to have 2 sweet little girls. Congrats. Can't wait to see her in person one of these days.

The Henricksen Journal said...

It has been so long... but I am so happy to have found you and catch up (just a little here). Congratulations and good job! I loved the play by play. You make me feel pretty wimpy - I had all 3 c sections. And good luck with the older sister obsessive touching thing. She comes by it naturally though, don't you think? I seem to remember a college friend of mine threatening me with this weird credit card swipe thing. Was that you or Alicia? (I seem to have lumped you both into one in my mind for certain events!) Congrats again.
Gail

Jennie said...

Loved it. Love the pictures. Love how strong you were and I am proud you went drug free. Love the sister bond. Love the gown refusal. Can't wait to visit.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Teri! I can't believe you did that without drugs, you are a strong woman! You have such a cute family and I hope you are doing well! Im pregnant again too, only 2 1/2 months along, but will definitely be getting drugs....have to have a c-section again. Enjoy your time with your babies they are so much fun.
-Julie (Buderus) Hines...your old college roomie!

Erin said...

I didn't know you were going drug free! Wow, you are a super star (or so I am told--really I have no idea, for all I know giving birth is cake.) You all look so beautiful and I can't wait to meet your new little one, beautiful Adelaide.

Natalie & Aaron said...

Congrats on one adorable baby and such a cute happy family! I love her name.