Saturday, May 2, 2009

Not at all like Seattle Grace

This past week Isabel made a glorious return to Rose Hospital, her place of birth. Well, if by glorious you mean strolling into the ER covered in vomit and poo. She picked up a rotavirus late last week, and it started wreaking destruction on her lower intestine Tuesday afternoon. Within hours she was totally dehydrated and despondent.

After one midnight visit to the ER, in which we let her watch cartoons in exchange for getting fluid down her throat, we were sent home with instructions to keep her hydrated. For anyone who has attempted to get a one-year-old to eat or drink something they don't want, especially when they're sick, this is no easy task. Less than 24 hours later, we were back at Rose, this time getting her hooked up to an I.V. Isabel was so dry that the nurse couldn't get blood to come out into the beaker for testing. And she slept through the IV insertion, which involved not only the stabbing, but wrapping a roll of tape around her arm and a big piece of plastic.

We ended up in the pediatrics section, where Isabel was quarantined in her room because of the contagious nature of the virus. So we spent two days chasing her around the room trying to keep her from pulling the I.V. out, opening the door, pulling the nurse call button, and comforting her as the nurses poked, squeezed and stuck her. It was a miserable couple of days, but we had a lot of support from good friends and family.

Isabel feels better, but still has little appetite or thirst, and we spent an hour tonight forcing 4 ounces of liquid into her mouth with a syringe. I find comfort only in the fact that Isabel will remember none of this. I mean, my first real memory is having red ants swarm my body in Texas when I was seven. So, yeah, Texas is horrifying.

13 comments:

Jenny said...

Teri, I am so sorry to hear about all this. I hope she is feeling better and gets well soon. And I hope you are doing alright too. We miss you guys!

Jill said...

No!!! I knew when I saw the title of this post on our blog that it was going to be a hospitalized baby story! That is sucko. Hope she gets all better very, very soon. And I hope you didn't run into too many crazies in the ER who just wanted to pop in an be tested for swine flu... (Illinois is fraught with them, or so the news tells me.)

Ginna said...

Wow, what a drag!! Youguys are brave. Chasing a toddler around a hospital room for days sounds like my idea of hell.
I sure hope she feels better.

Alice said...

So sad. Glad she's better:)

Dan and Anne said...

Poor Poor Isabel! (and her poor parents... ) She looks so out of it in all of those pictures, I hope she starts feeling better!

The Bryger Family said...

Not fun!!!! I am glad she is feeling better, but how scary. We will keep her in our prayers!

Kasey

Susanna said...

Oh my goodness. Did she get the virus from the potato bug she tried to eat?

At least she got a pink hospital gown right?

And I know it must have been so so hard, but Teri you look beautiful in all of those pictures.

We miss you. Let's skype soon.

Alicia said...

Poor thing! That had to break your heart seeing her with the IV and stuff. I'm glad that she is feeling better though. NO FUN!!

Erin said...

This is so sad. I hope little Isabel is feeling back to her normal happy self soon.

Kimberly Giardino said...

Not a fun thing to go through at all!! My brother sister and I all got it the same time... My poor mom could hardly keep up on laundry, meds, etc... My sister is the only one who ended up in the hospital!! I am so grateful to hear that she is feeling better!

the man said...

Glad to hear she's doing better. Ash went through something similar when she was 4 months old or so, they stuck an IV in her head, it was tough to deal with. You're a stronger man than me, you even came with a camera. You're so the man.

Erin said...

we missed you guys so much this weekend, but we are very glad that Isabel is on the mend. Mabel just got her immunizations today and they gave her a new one for the rotavirus. I was glad after I heard poor Isabel's story.

Erin said...

ok guys, you need a new post. Sick Isabel makes me sad. I want to see healthy happy Isabel back on the blog.